Monday, December 03, 2007

Holiday Gift Ideas

Whether you love to cook or you know someone who does gifts from the kitchen are always great ideas. I am often asked what some of my favorite tools are or what items I would recommend. Here is a list of some of my favorite tools and items I find useful:

Silicone Spatula
I love my Chef'n Switchit. I was first introduced to these 100% silicone, heat resistant to 650°F, angled end that really work, spatulas at a personal chefs convention. Now I am hooked. I have used other heat-resistant spatulas, but find the handles are constantly breaking or warping. These ingenious items have a steel core so they do not bend, warp or break. I can safely leave these in a pot of soup or while simmering a sauce and do not have to worry about what will happen to the spatula. They come in several sizes and colors. I prefer the Dual Ended Long Spatula. They are available at many online stores and have seen them in Bed, Bath and Beyond stores and Linen n’ Things stores. ($8.95 - $9.95)



Microplane
A microplane grater is a fabulous tool and I use mine almost every time I am in the kitchen. I use it to grate ginger, nutmeg, hard cheese like Parmigiano-Reggiano, or to zest lemons, limes and oranges. These tools were originally designed for woodworkers, but have found their way into the kitchen as a very useful tool. (approximately $15.00)




Garlic Press
All garlic presses do the job, yes that is true. I am a fan of the Ikea Konics press. This device seems to cleanly press the garlic with minimal waste and cleans up very easily. I am very sure they are other presses that work equally well, but a good garlic press is a cook's best friend. ($4.99)



Vegetable Peeler
The Mega Ceramic Peeler from Williams-Sonoma is great work horse. This baby works really well on peeling stubborn squashes and is a whiz at peeling carrots, potatoes and fruit. (available internet only for $19.95)
.
.
.
.
.
.
Reamer
Although you can easily get by without one, once you start using one you will wish you had one sooner. This is an easy and efficient way to get all the juice from your citrus fruit. ($4.99)

.

.
.
.
Digital Thermometer or Oven and Roasting Thermometer
A digital read instant thermometer is essential when cooking meats. You can prick open your meat, but for safety purposes you should really check the internal temperature. A digital read gives you immediate and accurate temperatures.
.
Or for an even easier read, an oven friendly model allows you to insert the probe into the meat in the oven or stovetop, set an alarm and you are notified when your meat hits the desired temperature. It takes the guess work out of cooking and most have multiple settings for different meats (chicken vs beef) and desired doneness (rare vs well done). (ranges $10 - $20 for instant read and $30 - $40 for oven probe)
.
.
.
Vacuum Wine Saver / Preserver
This gadget removes the air from an opened bottle of wine to preserve the contents for up to 2 weeks. Vacu Vin is a popular brand. A few pumps and you have saved the bottle when you have a few glasses left. Depending on how much wine your wine lover consumes, you may want to invest in some extra stoppers. The pump usually comes with one or two stoppers. However, I often have 2 to 3 open bottles (for cooking purposes of course) so I have invested in extra stoppers. Available at Linens n' Things and Bed, Bath and Beyond or local wine shops or markets with descent wine selections should carry. I know both Dusty's Cellar in Okemos and Goodrich's on Trowbridge in East Lansing carry them. (Pump around $15, with extra stoppers between $5 - $10 depending on how many stoppers in the pack)

No comments: